In 1904, the Tennessee Coal, Iron and Railroad Company established the coal mining company town of Coalmont. The original town comprised approximately 100 company houses along with a company commissary, railroad station and freight depot, barber shop, boarding houses, two-story schoolhouse, two churches, a theater and a hotel known as the “Wigwam.”
The Coalmont Bank Building, built in 1921, is on the National Register of Historic Places and is one of the oldest structures remaining in Coalmont.
In 2022, the Coalmont OHV Park became the first city- owned Off-Highway Vehicle park in the state, offering more than 1,300 acres of off-road fun.
Big Creek Lake, just north of town, is also a popular place to paddle and fish. It has a public boat ramp on the lake’s south shore, off Highway 56 via Partin Circle North and Matthew Mountain Circle.